Robla New Hope Charter School

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
| Login Search Twitter Instagram Facebook Youtube
Safety and Wellness » Homeless Education

Homeless Education

Homeless Youth Services: 


New Hope Charter School Homeless Youth Liaison Contact: Sergio Fuentes (School Social Worker)

Phone: (916) 649-5077 Ext. 204

Email: [email protected]

When many think of children and families who are homeless, some may think of those who are sleeping in their cars, or in a tent. 

The McKinney-Vento Act defines homeless children and youth as individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. 

This definition also includes:

  • Children and youth who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason
  • Children and youth who may be living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, shelters
  • Children and youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings
  • Children and youth who are living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings, or
  • Migratory children who qualify as homeless because they are children who are living in similar circumstances listed above

The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act, Title IX, Part A of Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) 2015, provides educational rights for individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence. It applies to children and youth who are:

  • Sharing the housing of others due to loss of housing or economic hardship
  • Living in a motel, trailer park or campground due to lack of alternative options
  • Staying in a car, substandard housing, or place not designated for sleeping
  • Staying in a housing shelter
  • Migratory children if in the previously described situations

If you are currently in any of the above living situation please contact Mr. Sergio Fuentes, School Social Worker with New Hope Charter School at 916-649-5077 for additional information and support. 


Parent and Students Rights: 


  • Immediately enroll in school with or without the proper documentation or immunization record
  • Continue to attend their school of origin, if requested by you and it is in the best interest.
  • Receive transportation to and from their school of origin, the same special programs, and services, if needed, as provided to all other children, including free meals and Title I.
  • Receive the full protections and services provided under all federal and state laws, as it relates to homeless children, youth, and their families.

Additional Online Resources:


  1. Pacific Clinic: 3840 Rosin Ct. Sacramento. 916 921 0828
  2. La Familia Counseling: Offers many services to families. Contact: Elizabeth 916-452-3601
  3. Sacramento County Mental HealthAccess line: 916 875-1055 (For Medi-cal and non insured families). Parents need to call/ be involved. 
  4. For Private Insurance: Call insurance company or Care Solace. 
  5. Care Solace: Can have student self referral. Slower process. 

Substance Abuse Assessment/ Counseling: 

  1. Sacramento county Behavioral Health: 916 875-1055 (For Medi-cal and non insured families).

Housing Needs: 

  1. Sacramento Self Help: (916) 341-0593. (Requires a Referral from a “Navigator” 1010 Hurley Way, Sacramento. [email protected]
  2. Turning Point: “Pathways to Success Program” 916 283-8280

Food Assistance:
1. Sacramento Food Bank: (please see flyer)

  1. Glenwood Gym on Thursdays at 8:30 am. 

Adult Education (GED and Job Certification)

  1. Highlands Education: Charter school education for all families. (Offers career training for parents, housing, counseling, etc.) 10 minute drive from campus.

Clothing Needs:
1. Sacramento Food Bank:

  1. Highlands Education: Charter school education for all families. 
  2. Francis House Center - A Program of Next Move: 916-443-2646
  3. River City Food Bank: 916-446-2627
  4. Daughters of Zion Enterpryz: 916-422-4962

Immigration Legal Services:

  1. Sac Welcome Center: 866 973-0747 
  2. California Rural Legal Assistance 916 446-7904
  3. Sacramento Food Bank Immigration: 916 313-7604
  4. Tania (Immigration Attorney Sacramento) 530 291-1787.


Below are resources available to you in the county in which you reside.

Sacramento County Office of Education: Project Teach

Sacramento County, CA Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) 

The Sacramento Housing and Redevelopment Agency (SHRA) is accepting Section 8 HCV and other program waiting list applications. A total of 5,000 applicants will be placed on the waiting list through random selection after the waiting list has closed. Priority is given to families that: 1) live or work in Sacramento County, 2) have a disabled family member, 3) have a U.S. Veteran in the household, 4) are homeless, and 5) paying more than 50% of their income for rent and utilities. To learn more about this program click here.

Sacramento Emergency Rental Assistance (SERA2) Program Application

To learn more about this program click here.

McKinney-Vento Training

Video: You CAN Enroll in School